Beef Salpicón is a traditional Honduran dish that is both delicious and very easy to make. Given that the recipe doesn’t require any additional fats or oils, the dish is low in fat — although not necessarily low in calories — compared to similar dishes containing meat.
Make salpicón in about 20 minutes cooking time, use the pressure cooker. The stove-top method takes about an hour.
Serve salpicón at room temperature or chilled. Serve with some rice and a garden salad for a balanced meal.
Salpicón de Res (Honduran Chopped Beef)Course: DinnerCuisine: HonduranDifficulty: Easy
Beef Salpicón is a traditional Honduran dish that is both delicious and very easy to make.
1 1/2 lbs Lean Beef
2 Red Onions (1 Finely Chopped and 1 Roughly Chopped)
1/2 Green Bell Pepper – Finely Diced
2 Limes – Juiced
1 Roma Tomato – Finely Diced (Optional)
1 Small Cilantro Bunch – Chopped
4 Garlic Cloves – Minced
1-2 Celery Sticks – Chopped
2-3 Culantro (Recaito) Leaves
1 Bay Leaf
1 Teaspoon Dried Oregano
4-6 Cups Beef or Vegetable Stock
Salt and Pepper to Taste
- Cut the meat in medium-size chunks.
- In a medium-size saucepot, place the meat and the rest of the ingredients with the exception of the finely chopped onion, tomato, bell pepper and lime juice.
- When meat is tender, place it on a cutting board. Let it cool down. Reserve the cooking liquid.
- In a food processor, process the meat by pulsing the processor in intervals and adding a little of the cooking liquid at a time. The texture should be chunky not pasty.
- Mix the meat with the rest of the ingredients. Serve warm or chilled.