Dominican chambre stew combines meat, red beans, rice and auyama (squash) in a hearty and rich stew that is preferably accompanied by sliced avocado. Any other type of legume will do, although red beans and gandules (green pigeon peas) are most commonly used.
This dish is very affordable and has an impressive yield, making it a great option for feeding a large group!
It has been said that chambre is best eaten a day after it is made, because the flavors become more concentrated.
Chambre, Guiso de Habichuelas con Carne (Dominican Meat and Bean Stew)Course: Soups, Dinner, Appetizers, SidesCuisine: DominicanDifficulty: Medium
Dominican chambre stew combines meat, red beans, rice and auyama (squash) in a hearty and rich stew that is preferably accompanied by sliced avocado.
3 TABLESPOONS CANOLA OIL (2 AND RESERVE 1)
2 GARLIC CLOVES MINCED
1 TEASPOON DRIED OREGANO
1 MEDIUM RED ONION PEELED AND CUT IN TWO HALVES
1 15.5-OZ. CAN RED BEANS (USE THE LIQUID IF USING LOW-SODIUM BEANS, OTHERWISE DISCARD IT)
1 CUP LONG-GRAIN RICE UNCOOKED
1 BAY LEAF
2-3 FRESH CULANTRO LEAVES (ALSO KNOWN AS LONG CORIANDER OR RECAO)
1½ CUPS AUYAMA (CARIBBEAN SQUASH) PEELED AND CUT IN SMALL CUBES
1 POUND PORK CHOPS EXCESS FAT TRIMMED AND CUT IN PIECES
4 CUPS WATER (UNSALTED VEGETABLE STOCK CAN ALSO BE USED)
JUICE OF 1 SOUR ORANGE
SALT AND PEPPER TO TASTE
- In a large pot, heat 2 tablespoons of the oil over medium-high heat. Cook the garlic, dried oregano for about a minute (avoid burning the garlic). Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the beans and cook about 3-4 minutes to combine flavors.
- Add the water (or vegetable broth if using) and bay leaf.
- Add the uncooked rice, onion halves, and culantro leaves. Stir constantly with a wooden spoon to avoid scorching. Let cook uncovered for about 10-15 minutes,
- Add the squash (at this time, rice is halfway cooked).
- While beans and rice are cooking, season the pork chops with salt and pepper and sear meat on both sides on a separate skillet with the remainder oil. Meat will turn golden brown,
- When the rice is cooked, add the meat. Let cook for an additional 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Add the sour orange juice for last. Serve with avocado slices. Enjoy!
- A variety of starchy vegetables such as plantain or yuca (cassava) can also be added.