These little turnovers are great for a party indoors, as a snack for a weekend cookout with friends, or when your kids bring their hungry pals over to the house. In about an hour-and-a-half, you can have everyone munching away happily.
Pastelitos Hondureños de Carne con ChimolCourse: Appetizers, SidesCuisine: HonduranDifficulty: Medium
These little turnovers are great for a party indoors, as a snack for a weekend cookout with friends, or when your kids bring their hungry pals over to the house.
- FOR THE DOUGH
2 POUNDS WHEAT FLOUR (PREFERABLY WHOLE WHEAT)
2 TEASPOONS BAKING POWDER
2 TEASPOONS SALT
2¼ CUPS WARM WATER
2 EGGS SEPARATED (1 WHOLE + 1 LIGHTLY BEATEN)
1/2 CUP VEGETABLE OIL (WARMED UP)
2 TEASPOONS SUGAR
- FOR THE CHIMOL
6-10 ROMA TOMATOES
1 MEDIUM RED ONION FINELY DICED
1/2 GREEN BELL PEPPER FINELY DICED
1 SMALL BUNCH FRESH CILANTRO CHOPPED
1 LIME JUICED
1 TEASPOON GROUND CUMIN
4-6 RADISHES (OPTIONAL) FINELY DICED
SALT AND PEPPER TO TASTE
- FOR THE MEAT
2 POUNDS 90-95% LEAN GROUND BEEF
2 TABLESPOONS OLIVE OIL
4 GARLIC CLOVES PEELED AND MINCED
1 MEDIUM ONION CHOPPED
1/2 GREEN BELL PEPPER CHOPPED
1 TABLESPOON DRIED OREGANO
SALT AND PEPPER TO TASTE
- Make the Chimol
- Combine all ingredients, season with salt and freshly ground pepper and set aside.
- Make the Dough
- In a large bowl, sift flour, baking powder and salt.
- Make a well in the center and pour in oil, incorporate well.
- Dissolve the sugar in the warm water and add it to the dough.
- Add the egg, and continue gently working the flout until you form the dough.
- Transfer to a clean and lightly floured kneading area and work the dough gently for about 5-7 minutes. Dough should feel soft and flexible.
- Divide into 12 pieces.
- Grease your hands with a little oil and form 12 uniforms balls. Place back in the bowl, cover with a clean cloth and let rest for 45 minutes.
- Cook the Meat
- In a medium-heavy bottom pot, heat the olive oil and brown the ground beef. Break out any large chunks.
- Add rest of ingredients and cook until no sign of pink, and all liquid has evaporated (about 15 minutes). Reserve.
- Make the Pastelitos
- Preheat oven to 375˚F.
- Flatten out each dough ball with the help of a rolling pin, kind of like you would do with a tortilla. Place about 2 tablespoons of the ground meat in the center.
- Fold the dough over and seal the edges with a fork.
- Place the pastelitos on a previously greased or prepared cooking sheet with parchment paper.
- Brush pastelitos with egg wash and bake until golden brown (about 40-45 minutes).
- Serve with the chimol.